Creating A Competitive Advantage

Employment Information

IES Employment Information

  • Living In Japan And Working With IES

  • Japan: Travel/Sightseeing

  • Japan: Travel/Sightseeing

  • Japan: Travel/Sightseeing

  • Japan: Travel/Sightseeing

  • Japan: Travel/Sightseeing

  • Japan: Food/Restaurants

  • Japan: Travel/Sightseeing

  • Japan: Food/Restaurants

  • Japan: Shopping/Convenience Stores

  • Japan: Food/Restaurants

  • Japan: Food/Restaurants

  • Japan: Travel/Sightseeing

  • Japan: Shopping/100 yen Stores

  • Japan: Food/Restaurants

  • Japan: Food/Restaurants

  • Japan: Travel/Sightseeing

  • Japan: Travel/Sightseeing

  • Japan: Travel/Sightseeing

  • Japan: Travel/Sightseeing

  • Japan: Travel/Sightseeing

  • Japan: Travel/Sightseeing

  • Tokyo: Sightseeing

  • Tokyo: Sightseeing

  • Tokyo: Downtowm

  • Tokyo: Downtown

  • Tokyo: Downtown

  • Tokyo: Accommodation

  • Tokyo: Transportation

  • Tokyo: Downtown

  • IES: Pre-Class Briefings

  • IES: International Education Services

  • IES: Instructor (Technical English Programs)

  • IES: Rose Hikawa Building (Shibuya)

  • IES: Co-ordination Center

  • IES: Instructor (Business English Programs)

  • IES: Administrative Co-ordinator

  • IES: Senior Co-ordinator

  • IES: Senior Co-ordinator

  • IES: Instructor (ALT Programs)

  • IES: Classrooms (Tokyo)

  • IES: Sample Learning Materials

  • IES: Classrooms (Tokyo)

Current Openings

Accepting Applications For Pharmaceutical English Trainers
Pharmaceutical professionals with three to five years of work experience in various areas of the pharma/biotech industry needed to teach at and develop materials for leading pharma companies in Japan. Based in Tokyo, teaching is in English to small groups of Japanese pharma executives. Annual contract/compensation with paid vacations, medical insurance, work visa sponsorship, and training provided. Only applicants with pharmaceutically-related degrees and work experience can be considered. For more information, please email your CV/résumé and cover letter to:

Accepting Applications For Engineering English Trainers
Engineering professionals with engineering degrees and related industry experience in one of the following areas: chemicals & materials, civil, electronics, manufacturing, mechanical, automotive, and environmental engineering needed to teach at leading engineering companies in Japan. Teaching is in English to small groups of Japanese engineers. Annual contract/compensation, paid vacations, medical insurance, work visa sponsorship and training provided. Only applicants with engineering related degrees and work experience will be considered. For more information, please e-mail your CV/résumé and cover letter to:

Accepting Applications For Business English & ALT Trainers
Accepting applications for university graduates to teach at Japanese corporations, government ministries and public schools in Tokyo and Osaka. Positions starting mostly from March and September. No Japanese language skills required, but advantageous. Training provided. Initial one-year contract with option for renewal. Guaranteed annual salary, paid vacations, medical insurance, work visa sponsorship. For more information, please e-mail cover letter and resume to:

The type of assignments provided will depend on openings. Instructors should not assume that they will only be assigned classes related to their education/professional experience. An assessment of any candidate's English Language proficiency may be required as part of the hiring process.

Working For IES

For more information on Working for IES in Japan, please click on the pdf link.

Learning Takes Teamwork (PDF)
* Applicants interested in teaching positions with IES should send their CV/résumé and cover letter DIRECTLY to Damian Thomas (Academic Director):

IES Teacher Training

For ideas on teaching Japanese executives, please click on the pdf link.
Teaching More Effectively In Japan (PDF)

40 Frequently Asked Questions About Teaching Positions At IES

  • Q1: Who is eligible to work in Japan?

  • Q2: What qualifications are required for teaching positions at IES?

      BA/BS degree is a minimum requirement. Teaching qualifications (PGCE, and TESOL/CELTA, etc.) are advantageous but not mandatory with equal consideration given to each candidate's personality, educational background, and work experience. An assessment of any candidate's English language proficiency may be required as part of the hiring process.

  • Q3: To whom at IES should applications be sent?

      Please forward your cover letter and CV/résumé to Damian Thomas (Academic Director):

  • Q4: What are Working Holiday Visas?

      Individuals must apply for Working Holiday Visas independently. Working Holiday Visas are valid for one year (depending on nationality, they can be extended) and are intended primarily for individuals who are planning to visit Japan mostly for vacation.

  • Q5: What are 'Specialist in Humanities' Visas?

      A 'Specialist in Humanities' Visa requires sponsorship by IES. Applicants MUST possess TWELVE years of primary and secondary education in a country where English is the language of instruction and a degree from an English speaking university. 'Specialist in Humanities' Visas are valid for one to five years and are renewable. For instructors joining IES on a full time basis, IES will provide the necessary sponsorship needed to apply for a 'Specialist in Humanities' Visa.

  • Q6. How long will it take for a 'Specialist in Humanities' Visa to be issued by the Japanese Immigration Office?

      Depending on the time of year (spring is particularly busy), the Japanese Immigration Office (from documentation submission to approval) can take from four to eight weeks to issue a pre-approval visa.

  • Q7: Can holders of a 'Dependent's Visa' work for IES?

      Holders of a 'Dependent's Visa' can apply to the Japanese Immigration Office for a work permit that usually allows them to work up to a certain maximum number of hours per week.

  • Q8: What is the next step after receiving a pre-approval visa?

      The Japanese Immigration Office sends your pre-approval visa to IES which we then forward on to you. You must then visit the nearest Japanese Consulate in the country in which you are residing to have your work visa stamped into your passport.

  • Q9: What length of contract is offered by IES?

      IES offers instructors an initial contract term of one year (renewable). All full-time instructors are expected to complete at least one contract term.

  • Q10: When are most teaching positions available?

      Your starting date is negotiable, with the biggest windows of opportunity being during the months of March-June and August-October. You are therefore encouraged to apply at least three to four months in advance of your preferred arrival date.

  • Q11: Where are most instructors based?

      Most instructors are based in Tokyo. A few teaching positions are available at our branch office in Osaka. Although IES will make every effort to accommodate your requests, IES reserves the right to decide where each instructor is based.

  • Q12: What preparation is required before departing for Japan?

      You will be contacted within two weeks of your interview with an offer of employment. After IES receives your initial acceptance by email, we will then forward contractual documentation along with a brochure providing detailed explanations for each step required to adequately prepare for getting the necessary working visa and logistics for your arrival in Japan.

  • Q13: Who makes travel arrangements for coming to Japan?

      You are responsible for organizing your own transportation to Japan, including airfare. You are also responsible for the transportation costs from either Narita or Haneda airports to your assigned downtown hotel.

  • Q14: Can mail/packages be sent from overseas to IES?

      If you wish to send clothing or other possessions to Japan prior to your arrival, please feel free to do so, addressing your packages to yourself in the care of IES at:

      Mr. or Ms. (Your Name)
      c/o International Education Services
      Rose Hikawa Building
      22-14, Higashi 2-Chome
      Tokyo 150-0011

  • Q15: Isn't the cost of living in Tokyo or Osaka expensive?

      Like in all major cities around the world, prices vary considerably. If you are willing to live and dine in a similar way to most Japanese, the cost of living is no more expensive than in any other major Western city. IES has also developed a special booklet entitled 'Settling In Japan' offering numerous tips on getting around easily, different types of Japanese foods and restaurants, phrases for basic communication in Japanese, ways of living and eating cheaply, etc., that will be reviewed in your 'Settling-In Orientation' on arrival.

  • Q16: What's it like living in Tokyo or Osaka?

      Living in Tokyo and Osaka is a unique experience. In addition to those aspects that are truly Japanese, Tokyo and Osaka are very modern cities with all the amenities, shopping, entertainment and nightlife, as well as cultural and sporting events that are to be expected in any major metropolitan area.

  • Q17: What's it like living in Japan?

      Indigenous Japanese culture is very rich offering numerous opportunities to experience a wide variety of foods, traditional festivals, and nature throughout the 51 designated regions. Japanese cities are among the safest in the world, with extremely low crime rates. Japan boasts one of the fastest, most comprehensive, and reliable transportation systems in the world. You do not need to worry about purchasing automobiles nor the associated expenses for fuel, insurance, maintenance etc. Japan is also perfectly located as a starting point for either brief or extended visits to other countries in Asia either during or after completion of your employment with IES.

  • Q18: What initial accommodation is provided on arrival in Japan?

      IES will arrange hotel accommodation for incoming instructors arriving in Tokyo/Osaka. Choice of hotel will be at IES' discretion. You will be informed of the details pertaining to your initial accommodation prior to your departure. Please ask for further details on initial hotel accommodation and reimbursement for associated expenses during your interview.

  • Q19: Will IES assist in finding suitable accommodation?

      Most IES instructors rent apartments. IES' Administrative Coordinator will provide assistance in the search for a reasonably priced and conveniently located apartment, negotiate with the real estate agent, review the housing contract (in Japanese), contact utility companies about connecting water, gas, and electricity, explain about the garbage disposal system in your living area, etc. IES' Administrative Coordinator will also provide support in opening a bank account and registering at the Ward Office, etc. All foreigners are obliged by the Japanese government to register at the Ward Office in the area where their accommodation is located. Finding suitable accommodation usually takes between 1-2 days.

  • Q20: What are typical monthly rents for apartments in Tokyo?

      Typical monthly rents for a 'ONE LDK' apartment in Tokyo (one main room/kitchenette/bathroom & toilet) range from 65,000 to 75,000JPY.

  • Q21: What are typical costs for moving into an apartment?

      Nearly all apartments in Japan are unfurnished. With the increasing popularity of discount stores and 100 Yen shops, furnishing costs are cheap. To move into the apartment, however, following the traditional Japanese rental system, you should prepare for an initial outlay equivalent to three month's rent. One month's rent is paid to the realtor (non-recoverable), one month's rent is paid in advance (recoverable), and one month's rent is used as a deposit (recoverable but minus any costs for repairs and cleaning). For more up-market apartments in key locations, sometimes one month's rent is paid to the owner as 'Thank you' money (non-recoverable).

  • Q22: How much money should be brought to Japan?

      To cover the costs of moving into your apartment and initial daily living expenses until receipt of your first pay check, IES recommends that you bring a minimum of 300,000JPY.

  • Q23: When should plane tickets be purchased?

      Once your work-visa has been issued by the Japanese Consulate nearest you, you are asked to email or phone IES advising us of your visa number and issue date, and your tentative arrival date. IES will then review our staffing requirements and approve a definite date of arrival. Plane tickets should not be purchased until a definite arrival date has been discussed with and approved by IES.

  • Q24: What compensation package is offered by IES?

      IES pays instructors an annual salary of between 3,000,000 to 4,000,000JPY depending on educational/professional background, work/teaching experience, and performance. Please ask for further details on compensation during your interview.

  • Q25: What is the income tax rate in Japan?

      The income tax rate for your first year in Japan is between 5% and 7% depending on your income.

  • Q26: Does IES reimburse the cost of traveling to assignments?

      Costs for transportation to/from teaching assignments are reimbursed by IES.

  • Q27: What about health insurance?

      You are entitled to join the National Health Insurance Program. You pay 30% and the Japanese Government pays 70% of medical and hospital costs. Please ask for further details on health insurance during your interview.

  • Q28: Does IES provide paid time off?

      After six months of employment, paid time off days can be taken. Please ask for further details on time off during your interview.

  • Q29: When are instructors paid?

      You will be paid on a monthly basis by bank transfer. You will therefore need to open a bank account. You cannot open a bank account without a Residence Card (issued at your port of entry).

  • Q30: Are there other opportunities as well as teaching at IES?

      Other opportunities are available at IES, for example, by accepting teacher trainer responsibilities or becoming involved in learning material development activities.

  • Q31: What teacher-training/feedback is provided by IES?

      Any instructor joining IES must participate in our Teacher Training Program. Each session in the Teacher Training Program is referred to as an 'orientation'. The type of orientations provided will depend on the types of classes that you will be asked to teach. After receiving a 'Settling-In Orientation', instructors can expect to receive comprehensive, intensively-scheduled orientation sessions. Observations of experienced instructors will also be scheduled. All IES instructors are regularly observed by IES orientators followed by detailed feedback sessions either in face-to-face meetings or by telephone. Clients and students are also regularly consulted for their feedback which will be passed on to you by one of the members of our Coordination Center responsible for that particular class.

  • Q32: How soon will teaching begin?

      Teaching assignments will start after your orientation sessions have been completed.

  • Q33: What is the appropriate dress code at IES?

      Japan is still rather conservative concerning dress code and you will be expected to wear business attire on all teaching assignments and when visiting IES offices.

  • Q34: What are typical working hours?

      The daily number of teaching hours may vary. Instructors agree to be available for eight hours per day and for five days per week. Please ask for further details on daily teaching schedules during your interview.

  • Q35: What types of classes are instructors expected to teach?

      Your students and assignments with IES will depend on your professional background and our current openings. You may be assigned to teach young learners in elementary, junior high, and high schools. In addition, you may be assigned to teach English to Japanese employees in corporations and government agencies.

  • Q36: What topics are typically taught in business classes?

      IES prides itself on teaching a wide variety of business topics using our own learning materials specifically developed to meet the needs of our Japanese students and clients. Please visit other pages of our English website for more detailed information on typical business topics taught.

  • Q37: What topics are typically taught in public school classes?

      The curriculum and learning materials used in your public school classes have been developed by the Japanese government.

  • Q38: How many students are usually enrolled in classes?

      Public school classes usually have 35-40 students. Business classes are offered privately (one student), semi-privately (two students), and in small groups (4 - 8 students).

  • Q39: What are the typical English fluency levels of students?

      You will be expected to teach English to students who have a wide range of English fluencies from introductory (e.g. public school classes) to very advanced (e.g. senior executives returning to Japan after working for several years overseas).

  • Q40: What are IES office hours (contact information)?

      Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
      Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
      Sunday/National Holiday Closed

      Tel: 03-3498-7101
      Fax: 03-3498-7113

We are always interested in your comments, suggestions and enquiries, either in Japanese or English, about our training programs and website. Should you wish to contact us, please follow the links below at the end of each section of our homepage.

For more information, please contact us.

†Back To Top